Wednesday, December 5, 2012

Advent Books

I saw a great idea on Pinterest where you wrap 24 Christmas books and let your children open one every night in preparation for Christmas.  It was a new take on the Advent calendar, although there are tons of cute and crafty Advent calendar ideas out there too.

I thought it was kinda crazy to go out and buy 24 books (not to mention not in the budget) especially since the children will be a year older next year and some of the books may seem too juvenile then.  So, I searched our own bookcase and located 8 good Christmas books, including The Night Before Christmas, The Grinch Who Stole Christmas, Santa Mouse & Frosty the Snowman (the awesome 70's version).

Then I searched our local library database online and put a hold on 16 other Christmas & Advent books (I requested more than 16 just in case I don't love the content once I bring it home, then I have some back-ups!).  Slowly, as they come in, I will pick them up and we will read those ones first then return them. 

We began with The First Christmas this past Sunday when we lit our Advent wreath for the first time.  And since, we have read The Spirit of Christmas, Christmas in the Big Woods and Christmas with the Mousekins, which was a personal favorite because the illustrations are so detailed and there are crafts & recipes inside along with a sweet story.



More to come!

No comments:

Post a Comment